Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Clerihews and Limericks...

Hi

After I found my friends actually telling me "Dude, why are you not blogging?", I felt like shit (I am pretty sure kids are not reading this blog of mine so the language can be pardoned). So here I am, back again on the blogosphere.

Well, today's small word of the day is "Clerihew". Well, we know anout poems and almost certainly about what is a limerick - Well, just in case you were not aware of it, I will give a small introduction to them. Clerihew is somewhat like a poem, with a different taste...

We all know what a poem is, so no details there. A limerick is a five-line poem with a strict form, originally popularized in English by Edward Lear. Limericks are frequently witty or humorous, and sometimes obscene with humorous intent. The rhyme scheme is usually AABBA i.e. the 1st, 2nd and 5th lines rhyme with each other and the 3rd and 4th lines rhyme with each other. The first line of a limerick traditionally introduces a person and a place, with the place appearing at the end of the first line and therefore establishing the rhyme scheme for the second and fifth lines. In early limericks, the last line was often essentially a repeat of the first line, although this is no longer customary.

Some of the more famous and witty limericks are as follows:

Hickory Dickory Dock,
A Mouse ran up the Clock,
The Clock Struck One,
The Mouse fell down,
And Hickory Dickory Dock

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill will hold more than his belican (pronounced belly-can),
He can take in his beak
Enough food for a week
But I'm darned if I know how the helican (pronounced hell-he-can)

A Clerihew is a four-line poem that pokes fun at the famous. These mini-verses have these main rules:


1. They rhyme AABB i.e. The first two lines rhyme, the last 2 lines rhyme, and they rhyme differently. The third and fourth lines are usually longer than the first two.

2. They're about a celebrity named in the first line. The first line consists solely (or almost solely) of the subject's name.

Some famous clerihews are as follows:

Sir Humphry Davy
Was not fond of gravy.
He lived in the odium
Of having discovered sodium

(This was the first ever clerihew)

Did Descartes (pronounced De-cart)
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?

Well, I tried penning a few of my own. I made a few limericks when I was a kid, but I don't remember them now. I have tried a few limericks and clerihews and they are as follows:

There was this guy from Maine
Who went on a honeymoon to Spain
There he told his lovely wife
"Ah! This is the life!"
There is only joy, no pain!

I met her in a bar in France
She seemed to be in a trance
I asked her if she was ok
She looked at me in dismay
I understood her - Don't take a chance in France

Soon President Bush will vacate the seat
He's gonna let someone else take on the heat
The media still whines "Who'll it be - McCain or Obama?"
But the bigger question is - "Where on earth is Osama?"

I once met George Bush in a dream
He was 80 and had lost all his sheen
I told him "Osama is still hiding"
"Your soldiers are still fighting"
He said - "In my world, Reality is the new dream"

I once met a girl named Honey
Who felt she was always funny
She woke up one night
Amid terror and fright
She cried - "I've been robbed of all my money!"

Well, more stuff when my mind permits!

Chow!

No comments: